Friday, March 5, 2010

Matty's Last Night In Auckland - Friday 5th March

The day started off pretty poorly really, our alarms were due to go off at half 8 in the morning so we could decide what we were going to do about a hostel for the next night (you can only buy 1 night at a time)but they didnt go off and luckily me and sammi woke up at 9 and sneakily set my ipod alarm for 2mins later so we didn't look stupid. We did a little research for cheaper hostels than our one (Nomads Fusion) but no real luck so we just bought another night here.
After a little lie in we made our plan for the day. Starbucks, IEP Lounge, Shopping, Meal, Out. Sorted. Nothing like a massive caffeine and sugar rush to set your day off (Mocha Latte with 2 sugars and a chocolate caramel slice). We stayed in the IEP lounge on the internet for a couple of hours just catching up on things back home and checking emails. Next stop was lunch, theres a small food court a couple of roads down from us that do Japanese, Italian, Chinese, SUbway, Mexican and Indian (All the staff in these places were Asian so it was very authentic, not.) I went for some tacos but ended up severly disappoint and basically skipped lunch and ran back to the lounge to do a small job search whilst the others eat their lunch.
When we got back the lounge, the girls had been offered a job doing some fruit picking up north and this is when it really kicked in that after Tuesday I was going to be the only one
left in Auckland. This was playing on my mind all day and pretty much ruined my day and night but i soldiered on, after all I had some shopping to do!

First stop was trying to find Lucy a new bag as her suitcase was falling apart and being a typical girl found the perfect bag at a good price but turned it down!
I had to plead my way into being allowed to buy an Auckland Blues rugby shirt which isn't cheap and when you have the bargain hunter herself (sammi) looking after your wallet, you do well to buy expensive stuff but I just smiled my way into being allowed it muhahaha.
We searched around abit more for Lucy's bag but me and Danny ended up buying more than her (danny bought a new shirt and t-shirt. I purchased new trousers, shirt, belt, another shirt and my rugby shirt. Sammi was not impressed with my spending at all)
After some retail therapy we let the others know we were meeting back at the room at 6 to make plans for the evenings activities. After a short nap we agreed on heading down to the harbour for a nice meal and a few drinks before heading out. I even made an effort for probaly the first time since I left the Uk, lashing on a shirt and jeans and trying to make myself look the part.
We left the room at half 8 and headed down to the Harbour. After some decision making we went to eat in basically a glorified pub, not my choice but hey, it wasn't my night.
I couldn't seem to shift the bad mood I was in and started throwing drinks down my neck just so Sammi and the others couldn't see my sulking (wasn't really working but I was trying to cheer up).
I didn't even really eat much as nothing took my fancy on the menu so I was now hungry as I hadnt had a proper meal all day and started to get abit pissed and moody, not good.
I joined Danny looking at the boats for some fresh air while he had a fag. This seemed to lift my mood abit as we had a real good chat about things and put it all into perspective.
It was at this point I really started to take in the beauty of the harbour. there was lovely decking and cool bars around the side of the harbour with the crystal white sailing boats anchored in the harbour with the bridge light up bright in the distance.
We joined the others to finish our drinks and pay and move on to somewhere else. We had a short walk to the next bar and I chose this point to tell Sammi what was really bothering me (this had been the only time we had really been alone in the past week and we had got pretty close so I thought it was only fair to talk to her). I told her I was just down because Matty was leaving tomorrow, Danny on Monday and then her on Tuesday and I was going to miss her.
I didn't really get much of a response which took me by suprise but I shrugged it off as we walked into the bar called the Waterfront. It was a gorgeous bar but I was finding it hard to really take it as I had a hundred thoughts buzzing round my head (that's why I don't really let myself get close to people and open up, messes my head up). We were probaly only in there for 5 minutes before it all got too much for and I didn't want to ruin anyones night by sulking and keeping myself to myself so I asked Sammi for my wallet & key card and left.
I felt like a right tit walking back by myself with a glum look on my face and felt like everyone was staring at me, I just couldn't wait to get back to the room and bed.
I spent most of the night just on the internet and listening to music, I just couldn't sleep, my brain was doing overtime. I was shattered but just had too much in my head to sleep.
I was probaly up for 2/3 hours before Danny got back. Then another hour or so before Sammi, Matty, James and Lucy got back. I had made sure that I left room for Sammi to get into bed without waking me up but she didn't.
Which again messed with my head. I was kinda pretending to be asleep as I felt so embarassed about what I had said before, perhaps that was why, who knows hey.
I probaly got a couple of hours sleep before waking up at 5am and not being able to get back to sleep. Kind of lucky really as Matty's alarm didn't wake him up so I had to.
He was leaving at half 7 so I stayed up talking to him a little bit, didn't really get a response but I guess he was just feeling down about leaving. Whilst he was getting ready to leave us. Half 7 came and after some short goodbyes from everyone he left. It was quite a downer really, he'll be sorely missed and it was difficult not to shed a tear or 2 but I held it together. I decided I'd go on a run to try and clear my head abit and sort my plan out for the next few days. This didn't really happen, I somehow managed to get caught in a fun run which I had no idea was on and the competitive part of me came through as I started racing them. After about 15mins I decided it would be best to head back alongside the ports of Auckland and up the main street to our hostel.
I don't think I made any plans on the way back because I just could not stop thinking about the night before and how embarassed I felt. I passed Sammi on the stairs but no words were really exchanged. I asked Lucy if anything had been said when I left but she assured me nothing had. This is kind of wierd, im hoping that im doing what I usually do and just think too much into things, must be the city. I didn't really think too much on Waiheke Island.
So here I am now, just lying on my bed in the hostel, the other 4 are still asleep but then again they were out pretty late. Today should be interesting, as will the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment