Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Kayaking Disaster - Thursday 4th March

We had to give the chariot back and make plans about what we were going to do when we get back to Auckland. It was quite a sad day really but we had Kayaking to look forward to that morning.
4 of us got single kayaks (Me, Danny, Lucy and Matty) and then there was a double one (James and Sammi). It was difficult paddling at first into the wind but we stayed close to the right hand side of the bay and eventually we found a few hundred metres of bay that was sheltered from the wind. It was so peaceful and nice. We took a few pictures of the animals and steep hills, I swear we saw a penguin aswell! The kayak guy left us to our devices and told us if we were keen for a challenge, to head 20m out to sea so we would hitting big waves and getting spray everywhere. This is where things took a turn for the worse. Matty got flipped over and couldnt swim back to his kayak, we all thought he had jumped in for a swim. The James and Sammi got flipped by the wind and waves. Sammi couldnt swim and this is when panic really struck. I lost my concentration and flipped myself. I could see James had saved Sammi and they were floating there waiting for help. I tried to swim out to them but realised very soon that my kayak and paddle was floatting away. I managed after several attempts to rescue my paddle and kayak. Absolutely shattered lying on my kayak I could see James and Sammi had been rescued by a speed boat and Matty by a small sailing boat. Me, James and Danny managed to cross the bay and kayak back to the shore. It all happened so fast and after some contemplation I realised that the tide was deceiving and Me and Matty had actually paddled out about 75m into the sea, towards the really rough waves. Completely exhausted we all made it back. My first thought was check Sammi was okay, she was really shaken, as was everyone. The kayak guy took us uptown for a drink and some food to help come over the shock of what happened. After talking it over the guy said it was a freak accident and applauded us for our bravery. I was just glad we were all okay!
We got the ferry back to Auckland and booked ourselves into a hostel for the night. We quickly forgot about the days events when we got back and heading for the Spa. We got there to find it was full but we were told to get in anyway. 13 of us somehow squeezed into the tiny jacuzzi and started on the booze promptly! We went out for a few relaxing drinking afterwards then headed back to the hostel for a well earned sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment