Saturday, August 20, 2011

Depot Bar, 86 Federal Street

I've decided I'm going to get a lot better at this blogging business, plus it helps me put down my excitement about Aussie and coming back to the UK, even though its so far off!

So what's happened in the last few weeks? Not a great amount to be honest, everyone is just waiting for the world cup to roll into town, my tickets are sitting in my bedside drawers ready to be scanned at the entrance of Eden Park, letting me see a once in a lifetime occasion.
The bar hasn't really changed much, it's difficult getting Ilkin and Jake on maintenance in the bar at the same time as me so I can get it looking decent. I'm even more desperate for my plans to be in place as everyone leaves a legacy behind in the bar. Doesn't matter if your bar manager, bar staff, hostel staff, drivers or sales res. or reps for the travel industry. Everyone leaves behind in that bar a story to tell, unfortunately mine will be getting naked all the time but I want to leave behind a bar that looks clean, smart and cool but with hardly any money spent.

I have been given money from Nan which is sitting pretty in my savings account, I spent a small portion of it on myself (Iphone, shoes and jeans) and have left the rest for mine and Portia's month or so of travelling. Having that money is making this fantasy of ours more real, now I'm just left with the dilemma of getting the flights we want now at a decent price or holding out for a sale.

We can afford to buy the flights as they are now, won't leave us too much to work with when we are in Aussie but we're both working our arses off to get as much as we can. Portia with her new job at Depot, they pay well and because of the clientele that roll into her bar, they tip well. It's a cool little eatery/bar, industrial but cosy at the same time, great food and not ridiculously priced drinks (for Auckland anyway). I'm making sure I work hard enough to leave with a good reference and a good bonus after the world cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment